- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 4 romaine lettuce hearts (for a large entrée salad, use 1 per person; scale as needed)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup Chica Mia cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is simmering, add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili powder. Let sit until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey and cook for 4 minutes, breaking up the meat as needed. The meat should be mostly cooked, but not entirely cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce, broth and vinegar to the skillet. Stir the sauce with the turkey.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Maintain the mixture on a very low heat to keep warm while you finish preparing the dish.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the taco bowls. Spray each tortilla with vegetable oil. On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, shape the tortillas over upside down, oven-proof soup bowls. Gently pinch the sides to shape the taco bowl. If you don’t have ovenproof bowls, you can use aluminum foil balls shaped as needed (make sure to flatten the tops).
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate the baking sheet, and bake for another 5 minutes. Tortilla bowls should be golden brown on the edges and crisp to the touch. Let the tortilla bowls cool while you finish cooking.
- For the salad, toss the lettuce, beans, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro and lime juice in a large bowl.
- Once cooled, place a tortilla bowl on each plate. Dish the salad mixture into the four bowls. Top the salads with the turkey mixture.
- Sprinkle each bowl with Chica Mia.